The O'Neill Brothers: Tim and Ryan
Over the past 25 years, piano-playing brothers Tim and Ryan
O'Neill have had their music streamed online more than one billion (!) times; sold more than 10 million
copies of their songs; toured with '80s pop sensation Debbie Gibson; and provided music for movies, NBC,
CBS, HBO, PBS and more. And on Nov. 1, the duo is being inducted into the Minnesota Music Hall of Fame.
While the brothers have kept a low profile as a Minnesota success story, fans worldwide have embraced their
music, including original compositions as well as covers of holiday favorites, Irish songs, classic and original
love songs, lullabies, movie and Broadway songs, patriotic music, familiar inspirational songs, wedding music
Along the way, the New Prague natives have hit the Billboard charts multiple times, and their mega-selling music landed them at #4 on Spotify's list of the most-streamed Minnesota acts of all time. In addition to hitting those and other milestones, the O'Neill Brothers have seen the music industry and their business change significantly over the past quarter-century:
• In the late 1990s, Tim and Ryan pioneered a high-profile partnership with JCPenney stores across the country, where they used computer modules to convert in-store pianos into player pianos, then created high-tech audio kiosks to play entire selections from their albums.
• While the O'Neill Brothers first found success selling their hardcopy CDs and cassettes in stores, at craft shows across the country and at concerts, fans now find their music almost exclusively through downloads and online streaming sites like Spotify, Pandora and Apple Music.
• In 2004, the O'Neills began performing and selling their CDs on QVC. They've performed more than 100 times on the network, introducing their music to a whole new audience.
• The brothers are no longer embarking on their sold-out Midwestern concert tours (which also teamed them with Katie McMahon, the original voice of "Riverdance"). With no concert tour commitments, older brother Tim focused on turning their record label into a digital powerhouse, while younger brother Ryan was able to spend his time making a name for himself as one of the top real estate agent/brokers in the country.
• The O'Neill Brothers have expanded; rather than only distributing their own music, they now help other instrumental musicians distribute their music, too.
• To celebrate their 25th anniversary as professional musicians, Tim and Ryan are seeking nonprofit organizations to donate CDs to.
"We wanted to do something extra special and say 'thanks' by donating thousands of our CDs to nonprofits that would enjoy some of our peaceful music," says older brother Tim O'Neill. "Ryan and I are so grateful for all of the support that so many people have shown to us and our piano music over the past 25 years. It's almost unbelievable that our songs have been heard online more than one billion times!" Nonprofits can request a donation of CDs by contacting email@example.com.